Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 3 - What is your view on drugs & alcohol

This subject is pretty familiar to me. My dad was a drug addict & alcoholic. I have a lot of good memories from my childhood, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t remember the fights and him stealing money for his habit. The time I was sick at school, left @ 10, walked home & was locked out of the house b/c he was at the bar.
He smoked pot, snorted coke, took pain pills & drank like a fish. I remember making him Black Velvet & 7-up drinks when I was 9…
He finally got clean when I was 12. But it was a long road. We were all very proud of him. Today, I can’t even watch those Intervention shows. It breaks my heart.
My mom worked hard to support us because my dad couldn’t. I respect her so much for that.

In my family, pot is the drug of choice. Today there are still family members who smoke. I tried it once & almost choked to death. It’s not something I have any yearning for.. Dennis smoked when he was younger – but thankfully has no desire to do so either.
While I don’t like smoking pot, I can see how relaxation & good feelings you get from it can be addicting. When I was in the hospital for my hernia, they gave me diludid. Most amazing medicine ever! I loved the feeling it gave me.

When it comes to drinking, I drink occasionally. When I say occasionally, I mean every 4 or 5 years! First, I hate the taste of beer, which leaves liquor as my choice of drinks. It’s not cheap and I have no desire to spend that much $ on alcohol. Also, when I drink, I get tired after a glass. Doesn’t leave much for me to enjoy afterwards because I just want to go to bed.
But if I drink a lot in a short amount of time, I get drunk.
I’ve probably only ever been drunk 5 times in my life. Now that I’m on Coumadin, I have to be cautious of what I eat & drink, so it makes drinking more of a hassle than an enjoyment.

I guess I should be happy because with the addiction in my family, I could have easily gone the other way.

My views are to not judge anyone b/c I know how hard the path to recovery is. I’m just thankful I didn’t follow the path my dad was on.


Post a Comment