Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Second Wind

Right now, the girls are fully immersed into fall sports.  I mean, holy volleyballsoccercheerrunning season.  I am exhausted and even though I'm not the one out there running or volleying, I have no energy by the time we walk into the house at (most evenings) 8 pm!
I keep telling myself I need to do a weekly meal prep.  I know it will make life easier, but I also know that it is just a little more work than I want to participate in.
Our meals have been on repeat...spaghetti, sloppy joes, cold cut sandwiches, frozen pizza, turk burg w/mac & cheese. 
Everyone is over it.
During one of the many practices, I decided to look at pinterest for dinner ideas, instead of reading my book.

Pinterest.  I haven't been on to browse & pin in...a year...two?  Yes, I have looked up specific things - but I don't browse like I used to.
While going through the INSANE amount of pins on my recipe board (let's get real - I will NEVER cut the girls sandwiches in cute little shapes of animals) I decided I would clean it up. 

Have you ever tried to 'clean up' your pinterest boards?  Does that happen?  Well, I tried.  I was able to get about 3 boards cleaned, all the while thinking the whole idea was dumb.  I have 3,000 pins!  It's safe to say I will probably never do 2,991 of them.  Ugh.

Anyway, while I was cleaning out the recipe idea one, I ran across this yummy looking dinner idea.
So, that evening, after practice, we ran to the store to get a few of the missing ingredients and I made it for dinner.
While it was VERY good and this is something we will definitely make again in the future, attempting a new recipe at 7:45 in the evening is ridiculous!!  But I had caught my 2nd wind at that point and was ready to cook.

Our family is NOT gluten free, so I did not follow the recipe strictly.  And I even made a few changes during the prep.

Here is my version of this delicious Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole

3 1/2 cups cooked rice (we LOVE rice)
3 cups cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken from the cold section in the meat dept)
6 slices of swiss cheese
8 slices of cut up deli ham
1 cans of cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup crushed saltine crackers or gluten free panko
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

While I was mixing it, I was waiting for Dennis to find a second can of the cream of chicken, I decided it was too thick (for our family tastes) and added another 1/4 cup of milk & told Dennis to quit looking for the 2nd can of cream of chicken b/c I didn't want it.

Personally, I thought it was perfect that way. AND leftovers were just as delicious!  Maybe even a little better :)


Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think!


No comments: