Wednesday, May 8, 2019

"While the world changes, the cross stands firm."


After what seemed like the longest year in Prep (Religion), Cadence has finally been confirmed!!  The amount of things that were required to make Confirmation were painful.  I fully support the kids learning and understanding to make this sacrament, but writing a letter to our priest, answering specific points with at least 3 sentences each. 
Another paper for May Crowning, about Mary, and a 3rd paper about the name of the Saint they chose.

It doesn’t seem like much, when it’s spread out, however, it was happening during the school year, when the kids already receive a bunch of homework.  This was in addition to various meetings and “retreats”.  Cadence doesn’t not write well and was very stressed during all the papers. 

All of the churches in the diocese hold their Confirmation at the Cathedral and the Bishop (usually) is the one doing the confirming. 
When we got to the church – it was PACKED.  There were supposed to be a total of 5 churches making their confirmation, but there were actually 9!  This happened to be on a Thursday evening (all of the others were Saturdays) and it started at 7 pm.  There were 100’s of kids making confirmation.  They all looked beautiful and of course the Cathedral itself is beautiful, but the process was TERRIBLE.  We could see nothing – I didn’t even know when Cai was up there.  I felt like I was there to stare at the back of the heads in front of me because I couldn’t see anything else.  I’m still bitter about it and it’s been over a month since she made it.

It didn’t end until after 9, which infuriated me because it was a school night and my kids had school the next day.  While the children making their confirmation, that attend Catholic schools, have teachers that don’t assign homework and understand what is happening, public school teachers do not know, nor can they work their lessons around this. 

I was so happy when it was done. In four years this will start all over with Bry, but we’ll be at a different home church AND I’m prepared.  We saved all of the papers Cai wrote.   😊

Even though I was annoyed by everything, I couldn’t be more proud of Cadence. She looked beautiful.  And Andrea, her sponsor, was so supportive.  I'm so thankful to have her in my life and to have her be a role model for my girls! 










No comments: