Monday, January 23, 2012

Motorcycles = DVT's & Contest Winner

For as long as I can remember I have been scared of motorcycles. My dad had one for a long time when I was younger. My aunt & uncle also did. My cousins used to ride w/them all the time.
I didn't want to. My aunt forced me on one when I was abt 3. I don't know if she scarred me, but I have never been on one since.
In 1976, my dad had a motorcycle accident. He developed DVT's.
They are nothing to joke about. Throughout the rest of his life he'd occasionally be hospitalized b/c of them. I never realized how serious they were - I was a kid.
When I was pregnant w/Cadence, I developed DVT's. Eight of them..the longest was 2 ft long. In my left calf & thigh. It was extremely serious & dangerous. I was in the hospital for week & a 1/2. Because of the family history, I'm on coumadin forever. I hate it. I hate that it's basically a rat poison, I hate that it's so dangerous...I hate that I need it.
When I was pregnant, I had to do lovenox shots b/c coumadin is dangerous to the baby.
My dad ending up dying because of blood clots. One broke loose & traveled to his lungs. Worst day of my life.

Anyway, Dennis had a motorcycle accident in November & broke his leg. He finally started physical therapy 3 wks ago. His leg has been SUPER swollen. He went for a doppler on Thurdsay...yep, he has blood clots. Two small ones in his right calf. Have I mentioned I hate motorcycles?

It's been a long weekend. Thankfully b/c they are small, he was able to come home instead of being admitted. He has to take coumadin for 6 mos. He has to do lovenox shots for 6 days until the coumadin builds up in his system.

Seriously - I wanted to shake him & tell him this is why I didn't want him to have a motorcycle. But I didn't. He was freaked out about everything & I didn't think the "I told you so's" would help the situation.

So, that is why I'm a day late on announcing the winner...
The winner is:

True Random Number Generator Min:1 Max:6 Result: 5 Powered by RANDOM.ORG

Sierra - please send me your info. You didn't leave an email address, so I'm not sure how to get back to you. Please respond by 1/27/12 - thank you!

I don't know why I can't get the generator to post on my blog...but it's frustrating me to no end, so I give up.
The next contest will be this weekend - so stop back by & try then! :)

No comments: