Tuesday, October 25, 2016

S.O.S.

No – don’t send help – this is all about the food.  I remember when I was little, my grandparents used to make a meal that my grandpa called SOS or shit on a shingle.  I know that for years my mom made it as well.  I know I liked it and I even recall making it after moving out.

But after I stopped eating red meat (16 yrs ago), I made a revision to the recipe, but I couldn’t remember what it was.  Then my memories started to collide and I felt like this was the recipe all along….

I googled the recipe, but all I could find were recipes that made their own roux (which I later found out is how my grandpa made it)…and I know at 25, I was not making my own roux!  Hell, I don’t even want to make it right now.  So I kept searching, positive cream of mushroom soup was involved.  I gave up and asked my mom how she makes it.  She said she uses brown gravy for hers.  Nope, not how I have made it within the last 16 years.

I continued to search for a recipe similar to what I (sort of) remembered.  The problem is, my memory sucks.   Finally, I found one that was close to what I would make.  I played with it a little bit, but in the end, it turned out pretty yummy.  Dennis ate about ½ of the mixture, so that’s gotta be a good sign, right?

1 lb of turkey burger, crumbled
2 cans of cream of mushroom (low sodium) soup
¾ can of milk
Salt (to make up for the low-sodium soup) & pepper to taste

Once turk burg is cooked and crumbled, add soup & milk to frying pan, cook on low/med until it becomes a nice gravy, add S&P, stir well and let simmer on low for about 5 mins.

We serve with white bread.  We put one piece down, put some of the mixture over it, then add the 2nd piece of bread & add a little more mixture.  Serve with some mixed veggies and enjoy!
 

 

No comments: